Building a better learning experience
Property management firm FirstPort has over 3,000 staff who manage 200,000-plus homes.
The scale of the organization put a strain on its traditional face-to-face learning courses. Especially for remote or ‘lone’ workers. FirstPort needed to evolve its L&D solution.
What’s more, it wanted to:
- Transform the learning culture within the organization
- Create an immersive learning experience for employees
- Align self-development with a business strategy to continuously improve, and make things simpler for customers
- Be data and insight-driven, focus on facts, not assumptions, and measure the impact on performance
The Learning Health Check let FirstPort benchmark against top-performing organizations.
Results showed how it compared in areas such as learning technology, common barriers and top development skills.
The data from the Health Check gave FirstPort a place to start. After that, the tool showed where the organization was on its learning journey – and where it needed to be.
Emma Smith, Head of Talent at FirstPort Limited, says:
“I actually use the Health Check as our core principles for what we do, and it gives me the sense of hope, as well as ideas of what we can achieve.”
By continually reviewing its L&D progress, FirstPort can understand and adapt to meet the needs of learners. For example, it plans to engage employees with interactive webinars and podcasts – all available to access and share from mobile devices.
Why it works
The Learning Health Check:
- Provides insights that aid decision-making and inform your L&D strategy
- Helps you monitor progress and continuously improve
- Benchmarks your organization against high-performing learning cultures – revealing areas to prioritize for improvement
- Offers tangible results with metrics you can use to get business buy-in
It gave me a sense of optimism and hope by confirming exactly where we were and where we needed to be.
Our Learning Health Check helped FirstPort transform its learning culture by:
- Providing clear evidence that highlighted gaps to be addressed
- Showing how to address these gaps and make positive changes
- Creating positive attitudes towards L&D
- Offering learning catered for the individual
- Introducing key principles to implement change
Emma has some advice for organizations who take the Health Check.
“Share the results with people in your network. I’ve got my best ideas from talking to peers across different businesses and industries. It also confirms you’re not alone. We’re all on a similar journey and can help each other improve the view of L&D across organizations.”
Ready to help transform your people?
Talk to us about how you can integrate our award-winning resources and strategy into your learning mix.
Once we receive your meeting request, we'll organize a time that suits you. We’ll show you how Mind Tools works and what it can do for your organization.